Can I Terminate Child Support in Alabama?

Can I Relocate With My Child After a Divorce in Alabama?

When parents divorce, oftentimes, the most important issue is child custody. No parent wants to imagine not being able to raise and be a part of their child’s life, which is why in many cases, Alabama courts would prefer to split child custody evenly between parents. That being said, in many cases, after a divorce, one parent will wish to relocate or move away with his or her child, and oftentimes, this makes matters more complicated, especially if the other parent opposes the move. Please continue reading and speak with our Alabama family law attorneys to learn more about relocation with a child after divorce and how our firm can help you. Here are some of the questions you may have:

What are the laws in Alabama regarding relocation?

Alabama has several laws in place regarding relocation with a child. To start, if you are looking to relocate more than 60 miles away from your child’s other parent, you will have to notify that parent within 45 days or within 10 days of learning about the move. You should provide your reasoning for the move and information about the new location. If the noncustodial parent objects the move, which he or she has a legal right to within 30 days of the notice, the court will intervene, generally blocking the move until the court reaches a decision. The court will consider many different factors when determining whether one parent will be allowed to relocate with a child, however, their primary concern will be the child’s best interests. If the court determines that relocation would not be in your child’s best interests, there is a very good chance that you will be denied the relocation.

What additional factors will Alabama courts consider when determining whether I can relocate with my child?

Alabama courts will consider several factors when determining whether you are allowed to relocate with your child, including your reasoning for wanting to relocate, your former spouse’s reasoning for opposing the move, whether the move would affect the bond your child has with his or her other parent, and whether the move would have a positive or negative impact on your child’s social life, education, or established relationships, among other things. If you have any additional questions or you are looking to relocate/oppose a relocation, speak with our knowledgeable Alabama family law attorneys today. We are here to help.

Contact our experienced Alabama firm

Stone Crosby, P.C. has proudly served clients in Alabama for over 100 years. Our firm has experience handling matters including divorce and family law, estate planning and administration, business law, employment law, class actions, consumer protection, business law, real estate law, among many others. If you require quality legal representation, contact our firm today to schedule a consultation.