Alabama Relocation Attorney


Child Relocation Attorney in Baldwin County, AL

Child custody is a complex marital issue. When parents split, the idea of not seeing their child every day can be overwhelming. For the most part, parents who live within a certain geographic radius can enjoy a joint custody arrangement. When a custodial parent needs to move and relocation is a reality, it can be a painful experience. In Alabama, the custodial parent must give the other notice. The noncustodial parent has the right to object it. When this is the case, a court may need to resolve the matter. This is a significant legal matter that deserves the attention of a compassionate and effective attorney. Stone Crosby, P.C. has decades of experience helping clients navigate through sensitive family law matters, including relocation. Whether you are the custodial parent who wishes to move or the noncustodial parent who opposes the move, our firm is ready to serve. Contact Stone Crosby, P.C. to discuss your legal matter.

Alabama relocation laws

Giving notice: When the custodial parent wishes to move more than 60 miles from the other parent, they must provide notice to the noncustodial parent within 45 days or within 10 days after learning about the move. This provides the other party the ability to object. It should include some details as to the reason for the move and the contact information for the proposed new location, including address and phone number.

Objecting to a move: The noncustodial parent has the right to object the move within 30 days of the notice, requesting the court’s intervention. The court may block the move until it determines the outcome.

The best interest standard: Relocation is a complicated legal matter. When courts hear objections, they are focused on the best interest of the child. If relocation is objected, the custodial parent may need to show evidence that it is in the best interest of the child or would greatly improve the quality of life of the child. On the other hand, the non-relocating parent may need to prove why the move acts against the best interest of the child. For the most part, the court will consider the degree of disruption to the child’s life, including the social and academic impact. The court will often use its discretion to make a decision.

Contact an experienced Baldwin County relocation attorney

Whether you are the moving parent or the one objecting the request, it is important to protect your rights and interests in a potential relocation case. The legal standard to approve a relocation is quite high when the court hears the case. Our firm has significant experience in these sensitive matters and works tirelessly for every client. Contact Stone Crosby, P.C. to discuss your legal matter with a legal professional.

Read Our Latest News and Blogs

  •  Airport Accidents in Alabama | What You Need to Know
  •  What You Need to Know About Child Support in Alabama
  •  What is a Contested Divorce in Alabama?