ex refuses to pay alimony

What Happens if My Ex Refuses to Make Alimony Payments in Alabama?

If your former spouse refuses to abide by the finalized alimony agreement, there is a very good chance that you are looking to remedy the issue in any way possible. Please continue reading and speak with our experienced attorneys to learn more about alimony enforcement and how our firm can assist you through every step of the legal process ahead.

What should I do if my former spouse refuses to abide by our alimony agreement?

If your former spouse is refusing to make the spousal support payments to which you are entitled, your first option is simply contacting your ex and determining the cause of the failure to abide by your spousal support agreement. In certain cases, this will resolve the issue. Unfortunately, there are many times where this is simply impossible, either due to an uncooperative spouse or other factors. When this happens, you should strongly consider retaining the services of an Alabama divorce attorney who can file a motion with the court to give your spouse legal incentive to resume making alimony payments on time.

For example, in many cases, a court will order to garnish your former spouse’s wages to contribute to the alimony payments you are owed. In other cases, they can draft a writ of execution, which essentially requires your former spouse’s bank to transfer assets from his or her bank account directly into yours to make these payments. In the worst cases, a judge may even find your former spouse in contempt of court, which can impose sanctions against him or her, or even send your former spouse to jail. The bottom line is that if your former spouse is refusing to make the payments that are necessary to keep you financially afloat and retain your standard of living, you cannot wait. Our firm is ready to assist you today. Do not hesitate to give us a call so we can get started.

Contact our experienced Alabama firm

Stone Crosby, P.C. has proudly served clients in Alabama for over 100 years. Our firm has experience handling matters including divorce and family law, estate planning and administration, business law, employment law, class actions, consumer protection, business law, real estate law, among many others. If you require quality legal representation, contact our firm today to schedule a consultation.